Woman Dies From Electrocution While Talking On Charging iPhone 5
iphone 5 electrocution
The family of a Chinese woman who died after being electrocuted while talking on her charging iPhone 5 says they want answers and an explanation from Apple.
Apple said Monday it would investigate claims that a Chinese woman was killed by an electric shock she received when answering a call while the device was charging.
The claim quickly drew attention after a woman in the western region of Xinjiang wrote about the death of her 23-year-old sister Ma Ailun on China’s popular microblog service Sina Weibo.
“We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,” said Apple’s Beijing-based spokeswoman Carolyn Wu, offering condolences to the family.
The state news agency Xinhua said on Sunday that local police had confirmed Ma died of electrocution but “have yet to verify if her phone was involved”.
Ma’s sister warned others not to use their phones while they were charging and asked Apple to provide an explanation, saying on Weibo on Saturday: “What a shame, to pass away like this.”
Those lightening chargers should really come with a warning label nowadays. Does freak phone accidents like this make you worried about buying them for yourself? Sound off below.