Today Is National Drive 4 Pledges Day #ITCANWAIT
Over the summer, we’ve urged our readers to re-evaluate their act of texting while driving. Months ago, many of you learned about the dangers of texting while driving and the devastating aftermath that one moment of bad judgement can cause. Here’s a roundup highlighting this summer’s #ITCANWAIT campaign:
May 28th 2013 – Texting While Driving Causes “100 Deadliest Days” #ItCanWait
August 12th – Think Before You Send That Next Text… #ItCanWait
On Sept. 19, It Can Wait, cell phone carriers and advocates will team up to take the movement to the next level. Join us on this nationwide day of action and help us encourage every driver to make a personal commitment not to text and drive – and recruit others to do the same. Today is National Drive 4 Pledges Day and on this day, we’re asking friends, readers and supporters to spread the word in three easy steps.
1. Join the cause and spread the word. (It could save a life!) Join #ItCanWait and @ATT for Drive 4 Pledges Day! Take the pledge to never text and drive again at ItCanWait.com.
2. Show your support by updating your avitar for the day. Add an It Can Wait Twibbon to your social media avatars to show your support via twibbon.com/Support/It-Can-Wait
3. Lend a hand on INSTAGRAM. Get on Instagram to share the It Can Wait message by writing #ItCanWait on your hand and sharing the photo along with why you’re taking a stand against texting and driving.
That’s it! In seconds your voice can become a powerful tool to shedding light on a too common issue that’s killing people everyday.
The numbers don’t lie: Texting and driving is a life-threatening epidemic.
- Texting and driving makes you 23 times more likely to be in an accident
- More than 100,000 texting-related accidents every year result in injuries or deaths
- 90% of teens say they’d stop texting and driving if a friend in the car simply asked them
- 97% of teen drivers agree that texting and driving is dangerous
- 75% of teens say that texting and driving is common among their friends
- 43% of teens admit to texting and driving
- 49% of adult commuters admit to texting and driving
- 77% of teens say that adults tell them not to text and drive, but do it themselves “all the time”
If you can convince one person to take the pledge and they can convince another, this epidemic can easily be eradicated — but it starts with you! Take the pledge and join the #ITCANWAIT movement today!