Today Is National Drive 4 Pledges Day #ITCANWAIT
September 19th, 2013 by Christen
Over the summer, we've urged our readers to re-evaluate their act of texting while driving. Months ago, many of you learned about the dangers of texting while driving and the devastating aftermath that one moment of bad judgement can cause. Here's a roundup highlighting this summer's #ITCANWAIT campaign: May 28th 2013 - Texting While Driving Causes “100 Deadliest Days” #ItCanWait July 2nd 2013 - Put Your Skills To The Test With The Texting While Driving Simulator Online July 12th - Texting & Driving Isn’t Just A Teen Problem…Take The Pledge & Spread The Word #ItCanWait August 12th - Think Before You Send That Next Text… #ItCanWait On Sept. 19, It Can Wait, cell phone carriers and advocates will team up to take the movement to the next level. Join us on this nationwide day of action and help us encourage every driver to make a personal commitment not to text and drive – and recruit others to do the same. Today is National Drive 4 Pledges Day and on this day, we're asking friends, readers and supporters to spread the word in three easy steps. #ItCanWait 1. Join the cause and spread the word. (It could save a life!) Join #ItCanWait and @ATT for Drive 4 Pledges Day! Take the pledge to never text and drive again at ItCanWait.com.
Disclaimer: This post has been sponsored in part by the “IT CAN WAIT” program which focuses on educating people – especially teens – about the dangers of texting and driving. The message is simple, yet vital: When it comes to texting and driving, it can wait. For more information visit ItCanWait.com.
#ItCanWait2. Show your support by updating your avitar for the day. Add an It Can Wait Twibbon to your social media avatars to show your support via twibbon.com/Support/It-Can-Wait
#ItCanWait3. Lend a hand on INSTAGRAM. Get on Instagram to share the It Can Wait message by writing #ItCanWait on your hand and sharing the photo along with why you're taking a stand against texting and driving. That's it! In seconds your voice can become a powerful tool to shedding light on a too common issue that's killing people everyday. The numbers don’t lie: Texting and driving is a life-threatening epidemic.
- Texting and driving makes you 23 times more likely to be in an accident
- More than 100,000 texting-related accidents every year result in injuries or deaths
- 90% of teens say they’d stop texting and driving if a friend in the car simply asked them
- 97% of teen drivers agree that texting and driving is dangerous
- 75% of teens say that texting and driving is common among their friends
- 43% of teens admit to texting and driving
- 49% of adult commuters admit to texting and driving
- 77% of teens say that adults tell them not to text and drive, but do it themselves “all the time”