The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is infamous as one of the worst travel days of the year, and Verizon has partnered with several companies to create a mobile package of services intended to make travel a bit more enjoyable. Verizon plans to kick off the holiday season this year with “Connection Day” on Nov. 26. Verizon is offering additional data to customers, and teaming up with Amazon, Apple, Boingo Wireless, Condé Nast, Gogo Technologies, JetBlue and Pandora to offer entertainment, connectivity and more. The company is giving 1 gigabyte of data to its customers on the “MORE Everything” plan, after they register at verizon.com/connectionday. Those customers will also receive another gigabyte on their next billing cycle.
Any consumer who registers at the site, even if they are not a Verizon customer, can receive:
- Special mobile access to popular movies and TV shows on Nov. 26, compliments of Verizon FiOS, by downloading the free FiOS Preview app.
- A selection of 10 free/discounted apps on Amazon, plus two free Audible book downloads (new members) or $10 Audible credit (current members)
- A special offer from Apple iTunes to be revealed on Nov. 26
- Free Digital Edition downloads of 17 Condé Nast Publications, including Wired, Vanity Fair and GQ.
- 30-minute complimentary Internet sessions through Boingo Wireless (at airports) and Gogo Technologies (in-flight)
- Free in-flight Fly-Fi (Wi-Fi) for flights between Nov. 26 and Dec. 24
- A free seven-day trial of Pandora One
Verizon customers who register immediately will get the gigabyte on their phone plans; non-customers are able to sign up for a reminder to return on Wednesday, Nov. 26.
Summer music festival season is in full swing! Your favorite artist tour schedules have been announced and after a horrid winter, you’re ready to make this the best outdoor summer ever! I’ve kicked off my summer festival experience in a way unlike I have ever done before camping out a few weeks ago at Firefly Music Festival, but nothing compares to the excitement and anticipation for the 20th Anniversary of the Essence Music Festival (currently known as Essence Fest 2014).
GUESS WHO’S HEADED BACK TO THE BIG EASY?”
Thanks to the official Essence Fest 2014 sponsors McDonald’s, Procter & Gamble, Verizon Wireless and Ford, I’ve been invited to get an inside look and exclusive experience of this historical summer event and I’ll be taking you along for the ride! Stay tuned to DivasandDorks.com, DivasDriveInHeels.com for exclusive celebrity interviews, concert performances and more ALL WEEKEND LONG!
From insider beauty secrets for summer from beauty guru Sam Fine, to talking powerful networking with Verizon and Morris Chesnut (I’ll even get some time with the electric lady herself, Janelle Monae to talk Cover Girl status & opening for his purple majesty – Prince!) For all things Essence Fest related, follow the fun online via #EssenceFest and click back here often for updated photos, videos and posts all weekend long!
Whether he’s working on the set of NBC’s “Crisis,” or starring in big screen dramas like “Temptation,” Lance Gross is quite busy these days. We recently caught up with the Verizon Potential of Us influencer, and he told us the top five apps he can’t live without:
- Instagram — In this business, I meet a lot of great people and travel to beautiful places. I love posting pictures of the people I’ve met and places I’ve visited along the way.
- iTunes — I don’t know where I’d be without my music. iTunes gives me easy access to my favorite songs at all times. There’s nothing like sitting back and listening to some tunes after a long day.
- Vine — I love to watch videos on Vine. It’s amazing what people can do in six seconds.
- Flight Tracking App — I’m always traveling, so having flight information in the palm of my hand is convenient. This flight tracking app allows me to manage my trips, check flight statuses and choose travel preferences.
- Photo Editor — I’m an avid photographer. With tools that allow me to fix red eyes or add effects to my photos, this app is a one-stop shop for picture editing.
What are some of your favorite must-have apps? Share your favorites in the comments below.
Tune Into Summer
Summer concert season is in full swing and whether you plan on investing in thousand-dollar tickets to see Jay Z and Beyonce or taking part of the overflow of Outkast summer festival concerts there are tons of ways to capture and share your summer concert memories all year long.
Are you an instant concert Instagrammer? Do you share your concert summer Vines almost immediately? Discover some of the latest summer concert trends and see how you measure to other music lovers like you below.
Tune Into Summer Concerts
Tune Into Summer Concerts
via Verizon Wireless
Spring is here, which means it’s time to start clearing away the dust and clutter of winter. You may be cleaning windows, scrubbing floors and putting away the winter wardrobe, so why not clean up your phone or tablet, too? Add a screen protector, what about a new case? Free up some memory and increase your device speed…I have some useful apps, accessories and suggestions that will help your mobile device seem like new again.
Household cleaners, step aside. Give your phone or tablet some attention by following these tips to get your devices looking (and functioning) almost new.
Is your smartphone low on space? Having a hard time downloading a software update due to not having enough storage? For more spring cleaning options and ideas, check out how you can declutter your device and free up some memory here.
NYC Verizon customers rejoice!
You can now make and receive calls, texts and access the Internet at 35 subway stations throughout the city. Verizon announced on Tuesday that it will bring its voice, 3G and 4G LTE data services underground to various New York City subway stations.
Verizon Wireless says it has invested more than $4.5 billion across the New York City region since 2000.
The news is not only important for convenience, but also for security. When Verizon customers dial 911, the dispatcher will automatically know if that call is coming from underground and be able to detect the exact platform from which the call was made.
The stations are largely on the west side of Manhattan, from 23rd Street to 96th Street, including the Times Square, Herald Square, Rockefeller Center, Lincoln Center and Columbus Circle stations.
To quickly find stations that have wireless service on-the-go, please visit Transit Wireless’ mobile-friendly website at www.NYCSubwayWireless.com .
For the latest and greatest Verizon Wireless news in the New York Metro region, follow @VZWNYMetro on Twitter.
Whether it’s your home, kids, office area (cubicle included) or mischievous pets – keeping a watchful eye on what’s important to you with the Belkin NetCam HD could be your next best tech investment. Recently, I got the chance to check out the Belkin NetCam HD from Verizon Wireless and the unit could not have arrived at a better time. There have been a couple of random times where I’ve come home from a long day to find that my pet chihuahua (Phoebe) has escaped from her kennel and finding solace and sleep in my comfortable bed. (I’m not THAT pet parent to sleep with dogs, so you KNOW I wasn’t a happy camper finding pet hair in my bed.) But I couldn’t figure out for the life of me, how she’s escaped. Until now.
Using the Belkin NetCam HD, I mounted the over my bedroom door positioned at an angle where I can see both Phoebe and my bed. The view angle of the camera can be adjusted using the swivel style base. The bottom of the base has screw slots, so it is possible to mount the base on a flat surface and / or a wall. With the Belkin NetCam, you won’t need an ethernet cable or be required to dork around with settings on your router. All you will need is an iOS or Android device with WiFi capability and a WiFi router setup in the location where you plan to mount the netcam.
After mounting the camera, I downloaded the free app on my iPhone 5s (the app looks identical on an Android device too). Once I went through the easy steps to configure the camera with the app, I was well on my way to figuring out this doggy mystery. Since the camera itself alerts me via smartphone to any motion it detects (even using night vision), it was only a matter of time until I discovered Phoeobe’s escape artistry first hand.
You can keep a watchful eye on what’s important to you with a Belkin NetCam HD of your own from Verizon Wireless. Try your luck by entering to WIN inside the Diva Days Of Christmas giveaway or get yours for $129.99 directly from VerizonWireless.com.
It’s no denying that holiday shopping season can be mentally and financially exhausting. With so many ways to shop these days, wouldn’t you like to make the most of your shopping time & efforts? Shopping with Isis could make a huge difference in your next shopping trip. Isis Mobile Wallet (with Verizon Wireless) is making serious strides as the go-to digital wallet for consumers. Like Google Wallet, Isis uses a technology called near-field communication, or NFC, which enables customers to wave their phone at special cash registers to pay for anything including quick bite to eat or cab ride across town. Isis isn’t just a digital wallet either, it can also improve your shopping experience with freebies, discounts and these three shopping benefits…
1. Safe & Secure transactions - Wondering how the Isis Mobile Wallet protects your payment information? Your payment credentials are stored in a chip called the Secure Element contained within your smartphone. The Secure Element is isolated from your phone’s main operating system and hardware allowing access only to Isis Mobile Wallet, to initiate transactions. Plus, the Isis Mobile Wallet must be accessed by a user-selected PIN, which is another layer of protection for all of your transactions.
2. Loyalty Cards - Loyalty cards within the Isis Mobile Wallet are digital versions of your existing merchant loyalty cards. You can load loyalty cards for any participating merchant listed in the app directory. Then you can present these cards when you make a purchase for redeemable discounts and coupons as usual. Get rid of those annoying loyalty key fobs, with Isis – everything is conveniently located in all in one place.
3. Convenient (Tap), Pay and Go - With SmartTap, you can make a payment, present your loyalty card or redeem an offer by tapping the payment terminal with your Smartphone. Look for the Isis SmartTap symbol on or around the payment terminal to see if this feature is available. When you use SmartTap, loyalty cards are automatically recognized. However, offers have to be manually selected by you first before they can be redeemed through SmartTap.
To make shopping easier & even more rewarding, Isis Mobile Wallet customers can use My Coke Rewards and Isis to get three free drinks at select vending machines, while Jamba Juice is giving away 1 million free smoothies to Isis users. Purchases made from an American Express Serve account through the Isis wallet are eligible for a 20 percent discount (up to $200). For more on Isis Mobile Wallet and to discover if your smartphone is eligible visit VerizonWireless.com today.
Disclosure: Please note that I often tweet using #VZWBuzz – VZWBuzz tweets include a 24/7 conversation and a Friday mobile lifestyle Twitter chat with an emphasis on providing information and education about devices, apps and tools useful to consumers. While the hash tag is sponsored by Verizon Wireless, the opinions I express tagged #VZWBuzz are my own.
Celebrating music and creating a lasting impact on churches and communities across the country, Verizon’s How Sweet the Sound is back for a 6th year and looking for the best church, collegiate and community choirs to participate in this year’s celebration. Verizon Wireless has welcomed enthusiastic gospel fans to experience the best gospel choirs with the How Sweet The Sound tour across America. From New Orleans, Dallas, Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, New York and Los Angeles – choirs from across the nation performed for thousands spreading the message of good news and hope.
“Verizon’s How Sweet The Sound is a truly amazing celebration of gospel music! It’s not only touched my life, but the lives of each and every choir that graces the stage.” -Donald Lawrence
How Sweet the Sound, a Verizon experience, is a nationwide search for the best gospel choir in America. Recently during the New York stop at Radio City Music Hall, we got the chance to talk with How Sweet The Sound hosts Donald Lawrence, Yolanda Adams, judges Hezikiah Walker, Tamala Mann, VaShawn Mitchell and special guest Pastor Donnie McClurkin.
After months of inspiring gospel choir performances, it all comes down to November 2nd in Los Angeles, California. Join Verizon for an unforgettable night of praise, worship and gospel music at the How Sweet The Sound Finale, Saturday, November 2nd at the Nokia Theatre LA Live. For more information and a full list of regional winners visit HowSweetTheSound.com.
photos via Verizon Wireless
Jennifer Lopez For Verizon
Over the weekend Jennifer Lopez partnered with Verizon Wireless for the annual “My Fabulous Quince” essay contest. Thousands of girls from across the country entered for a chance to win a celebrity style session with Jennifer Lopez and the Super Quince party of their dreams. Fortunately for “My Fabulous Quince” grand prize winner Alyssa Linares, she experienced the ultimate technology and style makeover compliments of Verizon Wireless. Alyssa was flown to Los Angeles to meet Jennifer Lopez as her celebrity Quince style guide plus Blackberry Z10 smartphones and Verizon Wireless gift cards.
Jennifer Lopez meets up withVerizon’s My Fabulous Quince Contest winner Alyssa Linares to give her a personal styling session on Saturday.
“Congrats Alyssa Linares the @myfabulous15 winner! Excited for our Quince styling session tomorrow w/ @VerizonWireless! #MFQ2013,” the 44-year-old entertainer tweeted the day before.