Rebecca Minkoff Snapchat
With designers in search of new ways to make collections generate fashion week buzz, many of them resort to social media as the “go to” for the masses. For its Spring/Summer 2012 show, Burberry decided to debut its collection via Twitter, sending the brand’s name to Twitter’s list of global trending topics at the time. Just last week, it was announced that Carolina Herrera has launched her first social media contest to boost awareness of her bridal line. It’s no longer show attendees that get the first glance at fashion week looks — this season, for Rebecca Minkoff fans at least, that honor falls to the users of Snapchat. Now with the power of social media, Rebecca Minkoff has solicited the power of the Snapchat app to debut her Spring 2014 collection moments before they appear on the runway.
Snapchat is a two-year old iPhone and Android app that allows users to send messages, photos and videos that automatically self-destruct seconds after they’re viewed. Sharing sneek peeks of the Spring 2014 collection allows fans to experience the star fashions of the shows even before most editors and show-goers can. The Rebecca Minkoff team believes that fashion week involves the consumer just as much as it does the designers, editors and buyers. Uri Minkoff, the CEO of Rebecca Minkoff says, “We believe in a different approach. We believe the consumer is part of [fashion week], and that their inclusion is going to grow. The consumer has a voice and say in [our] brand, they should get special perks even if they can’t attend the show.”
Are you keeping up with the New York Fashion Week excitement from the comfort of your computer screen? Check out all the runway shows in it’s entirety here.
Will you be following the Rebecca Minkoff releases on Snapchat? We’ll be sure to post some of the exclusive sneek peeks via Instagram for your New York Fashion Week enjoyment.
Tags: fashion, MBFW, new york fashion week, NYFW, rebecca minkoff, snapchat, social media
Posted in Fashion, Lifestyle | 22370No Comments »New+York+Fashion+Week+Goes+Social+With+Rebecca+Minkoff+Snapchat+Sneek+Peek2013-09-05+17%3A22%3A47Christenhttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D22370
Not so fast Google, Yahoo is Now #1. For the first time since 2011, Yahoo has actually regained it’s position as lead vs Google. The Huffington Post reports that comScore, an independent web analytics company, released a report indicating that Yahoo’s slew of websites — everything from Flickr to Yahoo Finance — actually got more web traffic than Google. In aggregate, 197 million people visited Yahoo’s sites in the month of July. Gmail, Google’s search engine and rest of Google’s sites received 192 million unique visitors during that same period.
I’m just as surprised, now thinking that maybe I should’ve kept that yahoo email address after all. However, many people aren’t that surprised. Noting improved websites, market positioning and more as reasons for it’s recent jump to first place.
Recently, when people have any paid attention to Yahoo at all, they’ve really just been talking about its headline-grabbing CEO, Marissa Mayer. (Sexed up and smart: Women debate Marissa Mayer’s Vogue photo) But her year-long tenure has gained her more than just fawning personal profiles: Yahoo is actually getting a ton of Internet traffic. Looking back at comScore data from the past year, you can see that Google was barely edging out Yahoo for the best part of 2013. Though it’s perceived as a backwater, Yahoo has been getting a ton of traffic for a long time. Marketing Land,the blog that first pointed out the data, reports that Yahoo previously beat Google in May 2011 and March 2008 — both before Mayer came on as chief executive.
Could this be an ever-growing trend for Yahoo or will Google regain its position next month? Who’s your choice are you still a die-hard Yahoo fan or does Google give you what you need on the world wide web?
Tags: comscore, google, social media, traffic, yahoo
Posted in Technology | 22257No Comments »Not+So+Fast+Google%2C+Yahoo+Is+NOW+%231%212013-08-22+17%3A57%3A17Christenhttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D22257
We’ve all been there, posting the obligatory “selfie” or prized snapshot of split pea soup coupled with the hashtag #FoodPorn. Everybody does it, right? But does it make you an amazing Instagram users or just a copycat of everybody else? Consider this a public service announcement: Avoid these cliche’ Instagram photos and your followers will thank you.
10. Bathroom selfies… Because yes, everyone needs to see how hot you look and the filthy toilet bowl at the same time!
9. Airplane wings… Ok, we get it… you’re on an airplane! So are 193,439 other people any given minute.
8. Text Message threads… Is anything left sacred? There are two types of people in the world, people that post text messages on social media and people I trust.
7. Sunsets. I happen to enjoy beautiful sunsets… in person. Instagram sunsets typically pale in comparison to the real thing 100% of the time.
6. Skyscrappers from below. You have finally solved the mystery of perspective. Yes, skyscrappers are in fact HUGE! Now can you stop filling my timeline with random buildings? Please.
5. Inspirational Quotes. Everyone needs a little encouragement from time to time. But, I’m sure Instagram was meant for pictorials, not a mashup of your favorite fonts.
4. Nail Art. #NailedIt #NailArt #NailPorn – I won’t even lie, I’ve been a culprit of over-posting the nail art pics. But let’s all just ease up on the cliche shots shall we?
3. Food Porn. Hey while you’re busy taking photos, your food is getting cold!
2. Clouds. We get it. They’re everywhere.
1. Feet on the beach. A picture is worth a thousand words, and that sixth baby toe is definitely not suitable for a “selfie”…
These are just a few funny observations that I’m sure you’ve been guilty of over-posting too! Do you know any great Instagram users who post amazing photos? Shout them out (or yourself) below!
Follow DivasandDorks on Instagram.com/DivasandDorks
Tags: instagram, social media
Posted in Technology | 22007No Comments »Don%27t+Be+An+Instagram+Cliche%27%3A++Top+10+Over-Posted+Instagrams2013-08-05+14%3A07%3A47Christenhttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D22007
jill scott talks social media
jill scott talks social media
Jill Scott sat down with Kevin Hart, Laz Alonzo and director Will Packer last week to discuss her latest projects with Verizon Wireless during Essence Music Festival weekend in New Orleans, LA. Three-time Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter, New York Times bestselling poet, and critically acclaimed actress are only a few titles held by Jill Scott. Before having the #1 album in the country with her new album, “The Light of the Sun”, performing at The White House, being named People magazine’s Top TV Breakout Star of 2010 and appearing on VH1 Divas alongside Aretha Franklin, the triple threat began her career collaborating with musical icons, The Roots, Will Smith, and Common in the late ’90s.
jill scott talks social media
Never limited to music, Jill Scott is a true multimedia brand across books, clothing, TV and film. Most recently, Jill was cast as the lead character in the HBO/BBC miniseries filmed on location in Botswana. The No.1 Ladies’ Detective Agency made Jill the first African-American lead featured in a one-hour, cable drama series garnering a prestigious Peabody Award. Before that, Jill starred alongside Tyler Perry and Janet Jackson in the #1 national movie series Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? and sequel Why Did I Get Married Too, as well as Lifetime Movie Network’s Sins of the Mother, the made-for-TV movie which became the second-most watched premiere in the network’s history. Scott also developed an intimates line for Ashley Stewart and founded Blues Babe, a registered 501(c)3 foundation that has raised over hundreds of thousands of dollars to support minority students pursuing college degrees. She most recently just wrapped up filming Woody Allen’s Fading Gigolo and Baggage Claim opposite Paula Patton.
jill scott talks social media
Check out what Jill Scott had to say about her use of technology below…
jill scott talks social media
Tags: EMF, essence music festival, jill scott, social media, technology, verizon, verizon wireless
Posted in Celebrities, Technology | 21515No Comments »Jill+Scott+Talks+Social+Media+%26+Technology+With+Verizon+%28Video%292013-07-16+15%3A01%3A28Christenhttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D21515
Apple Shares the Love with Twitter
Apple’s CEO Tim Cook called it “the biggest change to iOS since the launch of the original iPhone.” Apple’s next mobile operating system, iOS 7 update will include several technical, design, and app updates. One of the major technical updates is the inclusion of social media into the makeup of iOS 7. Smart phones are at the center of how we communicate digitally with our ‘friends’. Smart phones drive the increase usage of social networks. And, the newer social networks are built for smart phones first and Apple knows that. This merging of services is making the connections we do easier and enjoyable – building social ties, multi-tasking at its best.
Apple has made even simpler to Tweet. Again, the technology giant tells Twitter “I Love You” by integrating Twitter in Siri and iTunes Radio. Since the release of iOS 5, Twitter has had an intimate relationship with Apple, getting system level integration. How?
How Apple Shares The Love With Twitter
1. In the new ‘Shared Links’ section in Safari, you will see all the shared links from people you follow based on the Twitter timeline.
2. Just ask Siri! Yes, you can ask Siri what topic are people tweeting about and Siri will display their tweets – Cool? I think so!
3. What music tracks are trending on Twitter? Want to know who’s talking about the new Jay Z or Justin Timberlake track? Twitter Music can tell you all from iTunes Radio. iTunes Radio the Pandora like digital radio service will include a station just from trending music tracks on Twitter.
I see a pattern! Is everything based on trending, links, and tweets? Yes. This is how social media networks get us to use the services even more – to stay connected, informed, and always on.
The research is clear -
“Consumers are taking advantage of their portable devices to watch videos, access news and information, check sports, engage in social networking and shop. The time devoted to social networking dwarfs that of streaming video or accessing sports, Nielsen found in its cross-platform report for June.
Smartphone users spent 9 hours and 6 minutes a month on social networks — say, posting status updates on Facebook, tweeting their thoughts to followers on Twitter or checking-in on Foursquare. Apple iPad users devoted 3 hours and 41 minutes a month to social networks.”
– LA Times
We are moving into an era of social media x10 explosion ‘linked in’ with our smart phone hardware in a deeper level.
Tags: Apple Shares the Love With Twitter, iOS 7, iOS7, ipad 3, ipad 4, iphone 5, iphone 5s, iradio, itunes radio, new apple software, social media, social media integration, twitter integration
Posted in Technology | 20954No Comments »Apple+Shares+the+Love+With+Twitter2013-06-25+12%3A12%3A18Nicolehttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D20954
The social media giant Facebook announced Wednesday that it will now use the #hashtag feature on its network. The #hashtag feature is so popular on Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and Pinterest that Facebook could not resist – what took them so long?! “In fact, the company said, there were around 1.5 million posts referencing the now-infamous “Game of Thrones’s” ‘Red Wedding’ episodeon HBO (Note: link definitely contains spoilers) — a particularly impressive number when compared with the audience of 5.2 million who tuned into the episode.” (via Washington Post)
Hashtags is the # symbol with a word or phrase to follow (ex. #divasanddorks) that you want to tag for easy searching and tracking pics and conversations in a social media feed. It’s a quick way of getting through the weeds and finding the content you want instantly. In Facebook the hashtag will let you track and follow conversations that originated in Facebook and Instagram (Facebook owns Instagram). Already used by millions on Twitter and Instagram, hashtags are now open to almost a billion people on Facebook – whew! Hopefully, Facebook’s organization of the hashtags will be categorized by your feed and then globally. Facebook also announced that in the near future they will include trending hashtags. Although Facebook has more users than Twitter, Twitter is the leader for real-time quick content and quickly getting your voice heard. So adding the hashtag feature is how Facebook will start to build-in real-time content tracking.
Tell a Diva what you think about Facebook’s new feature. Happy tagging!
Tags: facebook, hashtags, sharing, social, social media, TECH
Posted in Technology | 20788No Comments »Social+Media+Update%3A++Dear+%23Facebook+Users%2C+You+Can+Now+Use+%23Hashtags++2013-06-14+21%3A57%3A28Nicolehttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D20788
Are you addicted to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter? Do you have a social media addiction that has completely taken over your life? Earlier this week, I shared how to identify your Tweetaholism (Noun. An addiction to the consumption of social media via Twitter or the mental illness and compulsive behavior resulting from Twitter dependency.) via Top Ten Reasons You May Be A Tweetaholic… If you find yourself having one or more of the common warning signs of being addicted to Twitter, it’s okay. There’s hope for a speedy recovering – but only if you follow these tips on battling your social media addiction below.
5. Own up to your Twitter addiction. Yes, it’s a cliche that half the battle is admitting the problem but not acknowledging it means you won’t change the addictive behavior. And before you rush to tweet that you have a Twitter addiction, by all means admit it to yourself but remember that there’s no need to tell the world.
4. Introduce your road to recovery. If you must say something about toning down your Twitter use, lay it on in much more general terms, such as:
“Got a novel to finish. You won’t see much of me here for a bit.”
“Giving birth tomorrow. Since I’m no supermom, you won’t see me around till I know how to parent.”
“Tweeting less ‘coz I’ve discovered marathon running. Off to train!”
3. Plan your Twitter time. If you’re inwardly groaning about how any person could ever “plan” the use of what is essentially a spontaneous medium, you’re right. Twitter works because of its spontaneity. Allow yourself a set amount of time every day, reserved for Twitter.
Suggested: 15 minutes every 3 hours, or one single block of an hour a day when everything else is taken care of. Set precise tweeting times. This is different from the previous suggestion in that you can set a time every day, say 12:30PM to send one tweet message. Stick the to exact allotted times. Check when your tweets have the most impact. Using only high-impact times can lessen your daily usage. Choose your time to coincide only with the time of most impact; this will vary depending on where you live and your interests.
2. Set aside “pure Twitter time”. This means avoiding use of Twitter as something you can do while multitasking, such as watching TV, reading your exam notes, or writing articles about quitting Twitter.
1. Spend time away from TMI (too-much-information). The constant bombardment of messages can induce a sense of constant hyper-awareness that keeps you on edge, in need of reacting and worrying over things you can’t, on the whole, change. Give yourself information free time, chilling under some trees, or down at the gym, or wherever your favorite quiet spot is. Without your phone. Maybe even take a social media hiatus by completing a summer bucket list like Ty of GorgeousInGrey.com – there’s no time like the present to get started.
Now that you have a step-by-step guide to successfully quit your social media addiction, what are you waiting for? Unplug from the grid and enjoy living addiction free this summer! But first, make sure to share this post with your family and friends via Facebook or Twitter…(Hey, I’m not an enabler – I’m just trying to help you help others too!)
Tags: 2013 trends, addiction, facebook, facebook addiction, instagram, instagram addiction, pinterest, pinterest addiction, social media, social media addiction, trending, trends, twitter, twitter addiction
Posted in Lifestyle, Technology | 20375No Comments »How+To+Successfully+Quit+Your+Social+Media+Addiction2013-05-31+14%3A36%3A26Christenhttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D20375
There’s a growing phenomena of social media addictions vastly taking over the planet. More than likely you know someone who has an overshare addiction and if you don’t know someone, you could actually be THAT person yourself. In the entertaining world of social networking, the need to be online constantly, or to check updates frequently, can creep up on you unawares. An addiction is a term used when a person is “compulsively or physiologically dependent” on something. In the case of an addiction to Twitter, it can mean that you don’t feel able to go a day without writing tweets and following others’ tweets, and you feel deprived, unhappy, and perhaps even out of the loop of what’s happening when you’re away from Twitter.
If you’re not exactly sure if you’re prone to a Twitter addiction, we’ve compiled a list of top ten reasons you may be a tweetaholic. Because admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery…
10. Insignificance takes on monumental proportions. The crowd on your tweet-stream deserves to know that you… got up this morning. #GoodMorning #RiseAndGrind
9. Your real life relationships are deteriorating because of all the time you are spending on Twitter. #FAIL
8. Your work is piling up. You have a lot of unfinished projects and you still feel compelled to tweet. #Ihatemyjob
7. Tweeting is more than fun. It’s akin to breathing. Without tweeting, you don’t feel you are… anything.
6. The Fail Whale looms large. After realizing you can’t post a tweet informing everyone that Twitter is down, you curse, air-punch, and grind your teeth. You refresh the screen again and again and again until the Twitter conversations return. Only to tell everyone how down you were when Twitter was down.
5. You have been told by your parents, coworkers, or supervisors to stop tweeting, and you find yourself unable to stop.
4. Twitter is your day. The rest of what could have been your day is arranged around it; the job is slotted in, the kids are given glazed nods, and dinner’s out of the store freezer for the fifteenth month in a row.
3. People without Twitter accounts are Luddites. Period. They’ve been removed from your address book. You’d remove them from following your Twitter account if only they had one.
2. You just cannot seem to be able to go a day without tweeting. It makes you uneasy and you feel better once you log back onto Twitter.
1. Giving Twitter updates as you leap from the crashing plane, give CPR to a nearly-drowned pal, or witness a horror smash is considered perfectly normal. So is reaching for the Twitter account before the epi-pen.
If any of these scenarios fit you, then you have a tweeting problem & could be a Tweetaholic. Don’t worry, with every addiction, there’s a road to recovery. You just have to take it one step at a time. Are you a Tweetaholic? Do you know someone that could be a Tweetaholic? Check out DivasandDorks.com for ways to beat your Twitter addiction soon.
Tags: social media, Tweetaholic, tweets
Posted in Lifestyle, Technology | 20311No Comments »Top+Ten+Reasons+You+May+Be+A+Tweetaholic...2013-05-29+14%3A00%3A24Christenhttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D20311
Not since Facebook purchased Instagram last year has a social media startup sold for major dough. The aging online portal Yahoo is set to buy the hugely popular blogging platform Tumblr for an estimated $1.1 Billion cash-deal. Tumblr founder David Karp, (former Bronx high school drop out – turned billionaire) will stay on for at least four more years during the acquisition.
Still think social media & blogging is just a hobby?
Are you using Tumblr? We are! Follow DivasAndDorks on Tumblr for more geek chic news, updates and virtual randomness…
Via Wall Street Journal
Last night in New York City, Lala Anthony & DJ Khaled hosted to the launch of the video game Gig IT. Featuring special performances by Nas, 2 Chainz, Fabolous, Miguel, Allison Park, Elle Varner and special appearances by Jamie Foxx, Ne-Yo, (VH1′s Love & Hip Hop’s) Singer K-Michelle (ATL) & Tarhiry (NYC), Busta Rhymes and more!
Check out some of the red carpet arrivals to last night’s launch below…
Gig IT goes by the motto “Your Music. Your Stage. Your Gig.” The application is the first of it’s kind to be launched exclusively on Facebook in early May. Gig IT will be the first and only virtual 3D concert game for Facebook that will bring together Social Media, Music, Fashion, and Gaming into a single platform. The application dares players to create the most innovative and unique social gaming experience for the music world.
“We’ve got so many performances, it feels like the Grammys!” - Lala Anthony
Gig It Facebook launch Gig It Facebook launch Gig It Facebook launc
“Today, a large chunk of the music business is about social interaction and connecting with our fan base in an unique way,” says 2 Chainz. “GIG-IT’s launch onto Facebook is the perfect blend of just that and gives our fans a new way of connecting beyond just listening to our music.”
Players will be able to customize every aspect of the concert such as the music, backup dancers, speakers, opening act, headline performers, wardrobes, sponsors and venue. They will then have the option to share their creations with their friends and followers on Facebook, turning the game into a music-discovery experience.
“This ain’t no farm.”
More than 50 artists have partnered with GIG-IT to become selectable players in the game. Other than the musicians mentioned above, GIG-IT told Mashable the roster includes Flo Rida, Miguel, Rick Ross, Talib Kweli, Sean Kingston, MGK, Tyga, Slaughter House, Joe Budden and more.
In a similar fashion to the ever-popular SIM’s game, you construct your own 3D concert. Fans can pick everything from the performing artist, to their wardrobes, to the concert’s official sponsors and venue location. Gig IT provides each user with a fully customized experience they’ll never forget.
Of course a launch with as much star power as this would be compared to The Grammys, a room filled with hip hop’s elite and major players from the music & entertainment industry galore made for an unforgettable Tuesday night in NYC.
Images courtesy of GIG-IT, Wenn
Tags: entertainment, facebook, gaming, gig it, hip hop, social media
Posted in Fashion, Lifestyle, Technology | 19460No Comments »Celebs+Get+Into+Gig+It+-+Facebook%27s+Newest+Star+Powered+Game2013-05-01+16%3A04%3A40Christenhttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D19460
Tagsaccessory app apple apps at&T celebrity ces Contests designer divas drive in heels facebook fashion FORD gadgets gifts giveaway holiday instagram ipad iphone iphone 5 lifestyle MBFW mercedes benz fashion week mobile new new york fashion week nyc NYFW phone runway samsung shoes shopping smartphone social media spring style tablet TECH technology travel twitter verizon Wild shoe Wednesday
- divasanddorks on Never Lose A Call With The Panasonic Link2Cell System
- divasanddorks on Top Social Media Moments From Last Night’s OSCARS
- Khadijah Red on Never Lose A Call With The Panasonic Link2Cell System
- mbelk on Top Social Media Moments From Last Night’s OSCARS
- mbelk on Never Lose A Call With The Panasonic Link2Cell System