If you own a Smart TV, chance are – you’re not getting the most out of your entertainment. ”Younger adults desire a more social TV viewing experience,” says Manny Flores, Senior Vice President at Harris Interactive. “With the proliferation of social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and Google+, younger adults are not only more tech savvy, but are accustomed to being able to share their online experiences with their friends and family. So why not add TV viewing to the list of online experiences to share?”
Smart TV manufacturers are hoping that the popularity of apps with smartphone and tablet users makes its way to the living room. Manufacturers and retailers are selling more and more televisions preloaded with Internet-connected functionality, frequently referred to as Smart TVs. This provides an environment where consumers can use apps to do anything from surfing the Internet using a fully functional web browser, to streaming their favorite movies, TV shows and music right on their TV sets. Streaming video apps are the most popular apps for both Smart TV owners and consumers who don’t yet have a Smart TV. Three of the top five “must have” apps are Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Instant Video. Social media giant Facebook and online radio leader Pandora round out the top five.
These are some of the results of The Harris Poll of 2,634 U.S. adults (ages 18 and over) surveyed online between May 7 and May 15, 2012 by Harris Interactive.
Younger adults (those 18-35) chose YouTube (Owners 57%) as their top “must have” app over the more traditional experience offered by Netflix (Owners 54%) and Amazon Instant Video (Owners 38%).
“As the TV becomes a more overall entertainment device, it is only a matter of time before we see the mainstream use of additional content apps, such as Facebook, being used on the TV,” added Flores. “Yet, manufacturers and retailers evidently have to do a much better job of educating their consumers on what a Smart TV is and the benefits of a Smart TV experience. Increased familiarity appears to be the key to driving purchase consideration. Also, manufacturers need to hope that familiarity with smartphone and tablet apps translates into greater interest and adoption for apps that can be used on a bigger screen in the living room.”
Are you a smart TV user? Which apps do you currently own?
Tags: apps, facebook amazon instant movie, NETFLIX, online, pandora, smart tv, smart tv apps, social media, TECH, technology, youtube
Posted in Technology | 10041No Comments »Own+A+Smart+TV%3F++These+Are+The+Must+Have+Apps+That+You+Can%27t+Be+Without...2012-07-19+15%3A40%3A39Christenhttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D10041
Spring has sprung and now’s the time to get out and explore the neat and interesting things that makes your city unique. With so much to explore, we’ve compiled our Top Five Apps that’ll get you out and enjoying the city in no time.
1. UpNext 3D Cities - Turn your city into a video game instantly. Zoom into the bird’s eye view of NYC to explore a specific area. Click on individual buildings in Chicago to find out what’s there. If you see something interesting, you can access its directory entry as well as relevant comments and tips left by other users. Maps redefined. Fully searchable, tappable, beautiful maps. Available in full 3D for New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Portland, San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC, and Austin — with more cities coming soon.
2. Bizzy – Check Out and tell your friends where you went and how it was, using the Bizzy three smiley scale. Include optional tips or photos to illustrate the awesomeness or disappointment lurking in every place you go. Post your Check Outs on Twitter or Facebook to share your ratings with the waiting world. With every Check Out, Bizzy learns more about the kinds of places you love, and gives you recommendations for new places to try based on your favorite spots.
3. GasBuddy – Find the cheapest gas on the go – for free! In one click, locate gas stations near your and see their current gas prices. Never overpay for gas again! And to keep the best updated prices on the web, for every gas price reported, you’ll earn points toward prize giveaways each week! Earn up to a $450 gas card – just for reported the gas prices you see!
4. LivingSocial - If you’re on the go, why not save money at the same time? Each day LivingSocial introduces a new, cool thing to do in your city — and give you a huge discount while at it. Always traveling? With this app you’ll see every deal they’re running in every city! Use the deal map to check if you’ve purchased a deal at a nearby bar or restaurant and never clip another coupon again! (Simply access a deal on your iPhone or iPad and show it to the merchant!)
5. Pandora – It’s a new day and what better way to celebrate it than finding a new soundtrack for your adventure? Pandora Radio is your own free personalized radio that you can use to stream music on your iPhone or iPad. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs or classical composers and Pandora will create a “station” that plays their music and new music like it.
You have the apps, now get out there and enjoy the weather and learn something new about your city!
Tags: apps, bizzy, city, explore, gas buddy, ipad, iphone, living social, pandora, upnext 3d
Posted in Technology | 3266No Comments »Apps+%26+The+City2011-04-14+15%3A47%3A29Christenhttp%3A%2F%2Fdivasanddorks.com%2F%3Fp%3D3266
Tagsaccessory app apple apps at&T celebrity Contests designer divas drive in heels facebook fashion FORD gadget gadgets gifts giveaway holiday instagram ipad iphone lifestyle MBFW mercedes benz fashion week mobile new new york fashion week nyc NYFW phone runway samsung shoes shopping smartphone social media spring style tablet TECH technology travel twitter verizon WEEK Wild shoe Wednesday
- Leon K. on Movie Giveaway: The Hangover Part III Prize Pack
- Tiffany on Swoon Dating App Makes Social Dating Easy For Apple or Android Users #SwoonUpNYC
- Sherrie on Movie Giveaway: The Hangover Part III Prize Pack
- Monica P on Movie Monday Giveaway: ‘The Great Gatsby’
- Terri on New Duane Reade App Makes Shopping Errands A Breeze