Is organizing your home space atop of your new year resolutions list? Discover how you can quickly organize your closet for the new year in three easy steps. A new year is upon us and we all know what this time of year brings…. Resolutions, reflections, new goals, etc. but how about giving yourself a new closet for the new year? Yes you heard right, a NEW closet. George Carlin once said… “A house is just a pile of stuff with a cover on it” well of course it is if you don’t have it organized and only use your storage as a place to hide all your “stuff” you don’t ever use. Don’t start the new year with a closet that’s crammed with “out of sight out of mind” items. The new year is the perfect time to go and open that door. You can’t hide from your closets forever, it’s just the two of you, face to face.
Here’s how you can clear the clutter, revive your space and even create some new outfit combinations in the process! Go on.. Open the door!
1. Pour yourself a glass of wine.
2. Go through every single hanger, box, and drawer…
- Take out anything you haven’t worn in a year or more!
- Take out anything that still has a tag! (unless you just purchased it)
- Take out anything that will fit if only you lose 10 more pounds!
- Take out anything damaged or falling apart!
- BONUS: Take out anything that’s currently out of season
What should be left is the mere 20% of items you wear 80% of the time!
Now that there is more out of your closets than in, here’s what to do with it!
- Items you haven’t worn in a year, still have tags, or don’t fit divide them into a donate pile and a consignment pile! If you’re not going to wear it might as well give it or sell it to someone else who will! Bag them up and put them by your front door!
- Items that are worn out beyond recognition, THROW THEM AWAY!
- Items that are damaged, put them in a different bag and take them to you favorite seamstress or tailor for repair.
Try on everything left in your closet! If it doesn’t fit, DO NOT PASS GO! please return to step 3!
3. Now ORGANIZE!
- Sort your clothing by type, dress shirts, pants , skirts and dresses. I’m pretty anal so I even organize by sleeve length and color, and all my hangers MUST face the same way!
Take a break and head to IKEA or The Container Store!
- They have organizational tools or every shape and size, Ikea is more cost friendly, The Container Store is pricier! Pick up:
- clear boxes in various sizes,
- space bags,
- bins, baskets
- under the bed boxes
- Organize your shoes in labeled shoeboxes you picked up stacked or just on the floor if you have a walk in closet.
- Put out of season clothes into containers inside (if you have room) or outside the closet under the bed.
The Fun Part! Let’s Go Shopping! Where are the gaps in your wardrobe? And what do you have too much of? Set a modest budget and fill in your wardrobe with some classic essentials if you don’t have them already. I know for a fact I have way too many open toe shoes, I need a pair of pumps or two ; )
You Did It!!!! Sit back, relax, finish that glass of wine and enjoy all the new outfit combinations you’ll discover now that your closet is all neat and tidy!
What are your closet clean up goals for 2013? Tell us below…
As you may have noticed, all this week the entire world is excited and getting ready for New Year’s Eve and January 1st 2011.
“A winning effort begins with preparation.” – Joe Gibbs
With this thought in mind, a few divas and dorks that I know have decided to dedicate today to create our vision and preparation for 2011! I’m sure that you’re familiar with Vision Boards right? If not, check out the definition below.
A vision board is a collage of images, pictures and affirmations of your dreams and desires. It can also be called a dream board, treasure map or vision map.
Vision boards are a great way to make you feel positive, and are helpful if you are using the law of attraction.
Today is a great day to take the time, prepare and organize for your 2011 success by creating a Vision Board for yourself. Don’t know how to create your own vision board? We’ve got you covered!
What You’ll Need
Cork Board or Poster Board (Need a Board? Click HERE.)
1. Decide the main theme of your board. It may be based on something specific you wish to accomplish or obtain, or it may be a general idea of everything that makes you happy.
2. Find pictures that correspond with your theme. Use images from old magazines, photographs, or from the Internet.
3. Print (if necessary) and cut out your pictures. You may wish to place a picture of yourself in the center as it shows you being surrounded by the things you desire.
4. Type or write some affirmations that correspond with your theme.
5. Glue your pictures and affirmations to your poster board and pin them to your cork board. Only attach pictures that pertain to your theme. You should even pay attention to small unwanted items in the background of pictures
6. Hang your vision board in a place you will see every day. I’m hanging mine on my bathroom mirror, I look at it everyday…actually, I have my best ideas and thought-provoking ideas in my bathroom – so it only makes sense that I have my vision board in there…(#dontjudgeme)
7. View your board at least once a day, and focus on the objects, sayings and theme of your board.
Today’s new technology makes getting daily life and finances organized easier than ever! We know that each one of you wish you had more time — but, since the time fairy isn’t granting any wishes right now, here are several gadgets to help you organized this year! From laundry to running out the door to that important meeting, I’ve listed several gadgets that are sure to shave off a couple of minutes in my daily routine
Cut the clutter in your life by digitizing the receipts and business cards with NeatReceipts. An added bonus? These scans are not only auto-organized, they are also accepted by the IRS. There are plenty of similar scanning programs on the market and they all pretty much do the same thing. If you don have one yet, I’d suggest you get one (you’ll thank me come tax time )
You can say goodbye to the half-dozen charging cords you power up your life with when you use aChargepod to renew your electronic devices. This gadget uses adaptors and a single power cord to charge up to 6 devices at the same time. Since I normally charge my electronics on my laptop, this chargepod is a god-send…this way I can remove the chord-octopus from my workspace and to a dedicated charging area.
Fold clothes and linens like a pro with a folding tool like FlipFOLD. This folding gizmo save time and dresser space while making clothes look retail-presentable. (There’s nothing like going into a closet filled with folded shirts – like they’re fresh off the retail shelves…)
Each night, put keys, sunglasses, and anything you need for the next day in a handy holder. This handy gadget, called the Doorganizer©, even has a place for your cell phone. Who knew you could even organize your door!