It’s EARTH DAY!! You may resist the urge to pucker up and kiss Mother Earth, caress or hug a tree – but you can still celebrate in a major way with a few easy tech tips that’ll help you “Go Green” at work or home today. Since you’re likely reading this from the comfort of your cubicle, let’s start with a couple of quick tips that’ll start you on your greening journey…
GO GREEN from WORK
- Utilize file-sharing websites like DropBox or Google Docs rather than printing and sharing or maintaining paper files. Or use your company’s network, cd-roms, zip drives, and external hard-drives to store documents that you’d otherwise print and file.
- Turn off the lights when you leave a conference room or any other shared space. Make it a habit to be the last person out and flick the switch.
- Stop it with the bottled water, already! Use a reusable water bottle or bring a regular old glass to work and fill up at the water cooler.
- Instead of traveling for meetings, whenever possible try to use video or web conferencing services instead. Bonus: This is green for the environment AND your budget.
- Put your computer to sleep when you walk away during the day. Most keyboards have a button that allows users to quickly put the computer to sleep. It’s a cinch to turn off and on, and it’ll help conserve energy.
GO GREEN from HOME
- Turn off the tap water! While brushing, shaving and washing dishes. (And use a faucet water filter for drinking…)
- Run a full dishwasher rather than cleaning dishes by hand. Yes, it actually uses less water. (And set your dishwasher to the energy saving mode and no dry heat modes to save even more.)
- For the holidays and birthdays, skip the paper cards and send e-cards instead. They can be animated, include music and video, and be more lively (and more green!) than their traditional paper counterparts.
- Filter your shower water. You can purchase a filter that attaches to the head for about $50. (Bonus: Take 5-minutes showers and skip the bath. Any longer than 5-minutes and you’re wasting water.)
- Recycle your electronics and computer equipment. (Check out a few recycling options & ways to earn cash from old electronics.)
Now that you have a few tips that you can implement RIGHT NOW, which “Go Green” tip do you plan on putting into action first? Share how you’ll celebrate Earth Day in the comments section below…
Attention Fashion Soldiers!!!!! The military movement will be around for a few more seasons to come. Camouflage is back with a vengeance and has popped up in everything from athletic shoes, to accessories. Glam up like our girl RiRi and take your Fall wardrobe to new heights with these great tips!
Play Up Your Look. Camouflage is the new neutral of the print world. It can be worn with almost anything! Jazz things using fab accessories, and pair your camouflage with other trends like the faux fur, sequins, or leather.
Wear this trend from head to toe! Unless you’re going for the walking G.I. Joe Doll look, break things up. Pairing camouflage with crisp black always works. You could even mix in another print if you dare.
Bargain hunt!!! Your local thrift and army surplus stores are great places to start your search for the camo trend, plus they offer the looks in their original condition at a fraction of the cost.
Experimenting with this trend with these tips in mind will make you a camo cutie in no time! Get out there and try your hand at the camo trend with stylish pants, jackets and more today!
Everyone enjoys an unexpected upgrade. Be it a surprise bump up to first class on an already oversold flight or even a little reminder from your cellphone provider awarding you the shiniest new smartphone for free! What if there was technology that could vastly upgrade your life? From the lifestyle of your parents, friends and children to the ever-evolving chic ways of being green.
I’m currently blogging LIVE from the nerd mecca of the world – Silicon Valley (San Jose, CA) along with several amazing bloggers for Intel’s “Upgrade Your Life” Experience. Now more than ever, we need technology that not only increases our efficiency but also upgrades our everyday lives. Today, Intel shares nuggets of wisdom on several topics including, sustainability (Green is the New Black), a history lesson on technology & even gives more insight into the lives of the Divas that run the world of Intel.
Have questions about Intel? Tweet Us… Questions about getting the most out of technology in your life? Tweet Us…
Check back momentarily for live updates & tweets #intelupgrade
8:35am – We just arrived to Intel HQ….(bum, bum, bum, bummm)
9:12am – GREEN is the new Black…by ?Ms. Suzanne Fallender
Wow! A lot of people are investing in green technologies & they’re “one-upping” each other…
“I drives a Prius…”
“I installed in-home solar panels…”
“I am a Vegan…”
DID YOU KNOW?
Intel is the largest voluntary purchaser of GREEN power in the US.
Intel has installed solar powered panels in many of their campuses.
How can you get a little greener today?
1. Volunteer your unused computer processing power with the click of an app! Check out the Progress through Processors program on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/progressthruprocessors)
2. Try integrating greener practices in your daily activities…What if your fashion choices could help save the planet? IT CAN!
10:06am – An Archaeology of the Present: Cars, Mobile Technologies & Messiness (with Ms. Alex Zafiroglu)
Did you know, that your lifestyle in your vehicle (junk included) tells Intel researchers alot about you and how to develop new technologies in the future? We’re chatting all about it on Twitter…
If we searched your car, what would we find?
11:09 – Upgrade Your Life: (or that of your parents, your childrens…) by Dr. Eric Dishman
Dr. Eric Dishman shares how Global aging will eventually affect ALL of us family caregivers (via Skype presentation)… “Alzheimer’s alone could bankrupt medicare in 10 years. Tech could be part of the solution to help.” (via @HighTechDad) Intel uses simple technologies like “caller ID on steroids” which connects to the home phone & identifies the caller via a tv screen as well as a recap of the last convo held with the caller….technology at work for you & your family.
LEARN MORE: Blogs.intel.com/healthcare
1:52pm – Living Lab for Aging in Place Technologies
(in the lab learning about realtime technology within the home that will monitor the habitual practices including using walkers, actively consuming meds & more!) Can you imagine being able to monitor your child’s behavior in school with a click of a button? The technology is on the way!
2:00pm – Lego & Intel teams up to teach children about robotics and more!
2:23pm – DID YOU KNOW: Intel can upgrade your life at home! Learning how Intel can help you manage your energy usage at home and accumulate a lower energy bill!
3:06pm – Intel Education Service Corps w/ Dr. Joya Chatterjee
Intel invests a lot in the education arena throughout the world! From teaching teachers how to use computers to educating children on Internet etiquette and everything in between.
(Disclosure: Intel provided travel + expenses for participation in the ‘Upgrade Your Life’ event.)
If you’re a true geek (like me), every type of portable device on the planet is probably vying for the valuable electricity at your home. Unfortunately all those gadgets make a big mess with their power adapters and cables while they suck up life-giving electrical juice. If you are looking to hide the tangled cables of your devices when they are charging, then try out the Grassy Lawn Charging Station. It makes you wonder if the grass itself is the power supply.
Artificial grass lies on top that acts like a cushion for your gadgets, while cables can be safely hidden in a compartment underneath. Any small devices with a charging cable can be placed here. It’s a great way to “clean” your home of unwanted cables that are lying around when guests are coming over.
- Charge your gadgets and hide the unsightly cables with grass
- Artificial Grass on the top, compartment for holding your cables and power adapters underneath
- You provide the cables and adapters
- Works with any small device with a charging cable
- 11″ x 7″ x 4.35″
If you’re looking for a charger for your “on-the-go” lifestyle check out our iGo Giveaway!
How many of you know me…I mean REALLY KNOW ME? Well here’s a tidbit of information that may be useful in the future. I AM AN ELECTRONICS JUNKIE & I TAKE THEM WHEREVER I GO! Don’t believe me? In my purse right now, I’m carrying the following:
- Apple iPad 2
- Apple USB chord
- Apple USB charger
- BlackBerry 9700
- BlackBerry 9700 wall charger
- Apple iPhone 3Gs
- Samsung camera
- Samsung camera USB chord
- Samsung camera wall charger
- Flip Camera
- Flip Camera Mino
- Apple Macbook wall charger
- Apple headphones
- (2) Square payment fobs
If you’re wondering why I walk a little funny, it’s because I’m usually carrying 20 – 25lbs of chargers, wires and electronics in my bag! LOL!
Well not anymore! Ever since I’ve been using my iGo green charging system, I no longer keep my bag filled with unnecessary wires, just to keep my electronics charged up for whatever comes my way! Now I charge all of my devices from this convenient wall charger that features two USB ports so I can power & charge two of any of my devices at the same time. Unique tip solution allows you to charge all your devices from one power source. With it’s sleek small, sleek design and foldable blades it’s perfect for travel or home use and in style.
When I emptied my purse, it looked like this…
Now! It looks like this…
With my hectic traveling schedule, this device has been a god-send! No more, searching through wires just to grab my mascara out of my bag…it’s a whole new way of living! LOL!
This is the accessory that you NEED in your life today!
…and we’re giving one away!!!
How would you like to WIN an iGo USB Charger of your own? How To Enter: Describe in the comment section below, “The One Gadget That I Can’t LIVE Without”…and you could WIN! It’s easy as 1-2-3: 1. Comment below. 2. Follow DivasandDorks on Twitter and Facebook. 3. Share the contest with your friends! Winner will be randomly selected online by Random.org on 6/27/11 and notified via email. The selected winner will have 72 hours to claim their prize & if not claimed, a new winner will be selected. GOOD LUCK!
YOU ARE THE IGO USB CHARGER WINNER!!!
Who says being green has to be dull? Today is Earth Day 2011 – It’s the day that we thank mother earth by making extra efforts to conserve energy and promote “GREEN” living. Plant a tree! Do some extra recycling! Check out our TOP 5 Earth-Friendly Fashion & Tech accessories…
5. Rachel Roy designed this casual Eco-tec yarn cardigan as part of her new program – Rachel Roy: Recycled Reused. The initiative creates products from recycled and reclaimed materials. The buttons on these are reclaimed, making each piece unique, and the hang tags are sourced from fabric scraps. Earth Day sweater, $89 at Rachel Roy.
4. Innovez iPhone 4 Slidercase with EcoPure material is billed as durable and capable of protecting your phone from high impact, unforeseen events, while ergonomically designed to fit the way your hand cradles the phone. It of course offers access to all those important ports and features, and comes in eco-friendly, biodegradable packaging. The Innovez Biodegradable Slider Case for iPhone 4 fits both the Verizon and AT&T version of the phone, $34.99 Innovez Cases.
3. Donna Karan, who’s all about organic these days, perfects a slouch style with this luscious Bandito bag. Fashioned from organic lambskin that is allergen-free and completely recyclable this bag can be yours for $1295 at Net-a-Porter.
2. Greenplug universal power adapter that allots the correct amount of energy to the appliance that is connected to it. Price varies, Greenplug.
1. Rogan Palms graphic tee made of organic cotton and palm leaf pattering is super soft and super gentle on the environment, $74 at Rogan.
In the spirit of St. Patty’s Day – We’ve round up two of the techiest GREEN desk accessories, that so happen to save your waste, money and the planet…talk about a Green Triple-Threat!
This Recycled Circuit Board Pencil Holder has been created from rectangles of discarded motherboard. The pencil holder is a great way to keep your desk tidy while displaying your environmental and technological interests.
The Recycled Circuit Board Photo Frame has been constructed from discarded motherboards. The frame allows you to display photographs in a way any technology geek will appreciate which gives a purpose to materials that would otherwise be discarded to landfill.
St. Patrick’s Day is usually associated with parades, partying, bar hopping, green beer, etc. But where does a fashionista fit in it? Today is the perfect holiday to look inside your closet and consider introducing your drab neutral closet with a sprinkle of GREEN.
These kelly green options offer a hint of spring flavor and are great for layering for those late chilly evenings.
Choosing the wrong shade of green can do absolutely nothing for your appearance, so choose wisely. There are green-blue blends (sea green, forest green, racing green) or green-brown blends such as olive, khaki and jungle green.
Green is one of the colors that works well on red-heads (very few colors do). Wear a strong green like emerald, olive or forest green to make red hair stand-out.
Juicy lime greens are just right for blondes, particularly if they have some warmth in their skin, like Charlize Thereon. Lime green is mixed with yellow, so is a good matching tone for blonde hair.
Green looks dramatic on dark complexion as this strong pastel provides a vivid contrast to the skin tone. Darker shades are too dull or muddy, but strong lighter shades look striking and light up the face.
It’s springtime and I love to see different shades of green mixed together, but it is not an easy look to wear head-to-toe. Try mixing in gold, copper, yellow, blue, nude and more to blend with your greens in addition to neutrals. Now that you have to quick tips that you can implement today – Go out, take a chance on some gorgeous green pieces to incorporate into your wardrobe, for St. Patty’s Day and beyond…
The North American International Auto Show welcomes DivasandDorks.com to Detroit compliments of Ford Motor Company and we have some tech treats in store for you! Fast cars, Green cars, Ford cars, Lean cars….and more! DivasandDorks.com will have a FIRST LOOK behind the curtains at the Auto Show as well as a behind the scenes look at Ford Motors Headquarters in Dearborn, MI.
What do you want to see at the 2011 Auto Show?
- Environmentally friendly speed machines?
- The latest concept Mustang?
- What about a Beamer, Benz or Bentley?
- Will we have a first glance at the world’s first flying car? (Isn’t it about time for one of those?)
You’ll have to tune it to find out what we’ll have it store!
Let us know what you want to see or questions that you have LIVE in the comments section below and we’ll bring it to you HERE FIRST!
DISCLAIMER: DivasandDorks.com was invited to participate in this program by Clever Girls Collective, Inc. in partnership with Ford and Ogilvy PR. Ford Motor Company paid for my travel and accommodations at the 2-day Driving Green Technology event, I was not compensated in any other manner for my time. My opinions posted here are my own.