I have to admit, there’s nothing quicker, easier and more stylish than throwing on a cute romper (accessorizing it, of course) and running out the door! With this being said, (as a relatively tall drink of water..) I have gone through my faux-pas of wearing rompers that did not quite fit right (Exhibit A). Since I believe that you should share your mistakes with others so that they can learn from them, I have a list of several Romper options for every body type…get your pens and pads ready.
Boy Shape Body:
A little cinch goes a looong way, especially if you don’t have distinguished curves. The flowy-element of this jumpsuit romper gives a crisp, clean look – while the long drawstings pull the waistline slightly in, giving the appearance of curvature…lol
H&M White Jumpsuit, $24.75, available in-store at H&M.
Go dark for a slimming effect! Denim, solid colors can achieve a similar look. This dark denim romper can be dressed up or down. Think vintage ankle boots for day, strappy heels for night. Either way, make sure the correct size fits correctly (we wouldn’t want any wardrobe malfunctions now would we?)
Torrid Smocked-Back Dark-Wash Romper, $58 at Torrid.com
It’s all about the camouflage. Use the top to snatch the attention from the bottom. Jenni Kayne’s rolled jumpsuit is too chic not to scoop up! The deep v cut (when unbuttoned)Button up front with tie waist and elastic back in black is the perfect camouflage tool to werk a romper like no other. Roll ruching detail on sleeves and shorts.
Jenni Kayne’s rolled jumpsuit $170 - shoplesnouvelles.com
If you don’t fall in one of the above “body types” you’re probably “in between” and if so, here are the ROMPER COMMANDMENTS that’ll keep you looking right and ready in your romper.
1. Say NO to camel toe! Now that I have your attention, you NEED to make sure that the torso of the romper is long enough for your body. (Hint: shorter body types – check out Forever 21 rompers. They tend to make more varieties for your bodies… Tall girls – check out Express, they seem to have us covered!_
2. Choose a fabric that has some structure. If the fabric is a loose, stretch knit, and the leg openings are wide, it will look like you are wearing a mini-dress. Keep it simple & think tailored.
3. Step up your game, and step into some heels. They will create a long-legged and slimmer silhouette. Not a fan of heels? Maybe you think you’re too tall – I’d suggest wedges if you’re nervous about the idea of a heel.
4. Tight is NOT Right. Skin tight is a no-no. Unless you’re trying to look like an “adult” entertainer or a circus acrobat, then please, give your body some breathing room. Instead, choose a billowy silhouette and define your waist with a belt or thick ribbon tied in a bow. REMEMBER: Lady lumps and lycra does not mix baby!
With the once a year discovery that winter is gone and the sun is here to stay brings three thoughts…
1. “Time to get this body swimsuit ready.”
2. “I better schedule a pedicure appointment immediately.”
3. ”It’s time to find more, fabulous everyday sundresses but which dress is right for me?”
It’s on everyone’s mind, so don’t feel bad. It’s especially difficult to find the right dress that accentuates your body type. Trust us, there are some dresses out there that doesn’t belong on anyone’s body and we’re going to help you avoid that mistake by highlighting our D&D approved sundresses for most body types below.
Top Heavy. Here’s Kate Moss for Topshop Halter Sundress for my girls up top that’ll accentuate your curves without exploiting them. This cotton lilac dress is perfect for a “day out” brunching with the girls or at the part.
Tomboy body. Your body type need extra attention to over-enhance your feminity and this dress does just that. The florally-embellished neckline and spaghetti straps highlights a bustline while the mid-center cut defines curves.
Bottom Heavy. If you’re trying to hide the junk in your trunk, this is the perfect spring dress for you. The top roughing and details accentuates your top half while the bottom hides…well, your bottom.
We believe that fashion isn’t just for the runway models and that everyone deserves to look fabolous each and every day! There’s always something out there perfect for everybody type, you just have to take the time and know what works for you. Now that you have a little ammunition – we look forward to seeing you gals out there ‘killin em’ in your sundresses!