Black History Month In AppsBe sure to prove your heritage by earning the “Say It Loud!” badge from BET and Foursquare. This badge celebrates historic locations that are important to Black history, such as the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial in DC and the Lewis Museum of Maryland African-American History and Culture in Baltimore. - Even the busiest of people can learn about history. Try the apps, “Black History in an Hour” ($2.99) or “American Slavery in an Hour” ($2.99). Through a series of eBooks, readers can learn the basics of Black history in America from slavery to the civil rights movement and beyond. Events that occurred in Great Britain and South Africa are included. There's really no excuse! For a new take on Black history, and the truth that comes of telling our own stories, Tumblr is the place to look. From the hilarious hyperbole on “Little Known Black History Facts,” about the most uncanny of our culture to the somber, “Black Vernacular,” a digital memorial of our deceased ancestors, and finally to a nice balance between the two, “Peak Blackness” which captures all that is amazing, fantastic and audacious about Black people. - - -
Black History Month In MoviesAnother hot topic that always gets Black folks talking is food, soul food to be exact! Following up from his success with “Hip-Hop: Beyond Beats & Rhymes,” documentarian Byron Hurt brings us “Soul Food Junkies.” Shown at the 10th Annual Men of Strength Club – Solutions Through Film Black History Month Film Festival, this film explores the historical beginnings of soul food, the health implications of over-consumption, and the changes coming about with the food justice movement. - - - Also shown was “Hoodwinked”, a data-driven, statistical journey to answer the questions: Are there more Black men in jail or in college? And which is higher, the high school dropout or graduation rate for young Black men? Have a look for yourselves, the answers may just shock you! Proceeds from this youth-led event were donated to Apne Aap Women Worldwide for girls in India to go to schools, not brothels. -
With so many options to explore Black History Month, how will you research and celebrate your heritage?
Everyone in the natural hair community is very serious about their decision to leave the chemicals, and wear their hair in its natural state. I personally commend those who have made this transition! However, there are a few things that you must know in order to properly care for your natural hair (or any hair) to maintain it's truest texture.
In speaking with two authorities in the hair care industry (Spring Capers of “Springs Place”, Chicago IL-South Loop, & Kelly Jay of “Eula’s Hair Salon”, Chicago IL-Beverly), the common thread of the “how-to” conversation, as it relates to hair, is that you must visit a hair care professional in order to properly care for your tresses. Maintenance is very important. “Whether natural or processed, ends will split”, says Kelly Jay. She advises that you should see your hair care professional every 7-10 days, but that seeing one every 14 days is more common, as everyone’s budget is not the same. Spring says something similar. “The secret to great hair, no matter what type, style or texture, is an APPOINTMENT on a regular basis with a true professional.”
Also, naturalistas have to find the hair care products that work best with your particular hair texture. Not all products work for every type of hair, so doing your own research, listening to and visiting with your hair care professional, plus “trial and error” will make for the best teacher.Whether your hair is processed or natural, your hair’s health will all depend on YOU. The woman with the AMAZINGLY beautiful tresses will potentially be the woman who frequently visits her stylist! It’s not too late to get your hair in order; caring for your hair doesn't have to be a struggle! See your local hair care professional for your consultation and maintenance if it has been a while. Have your own natural hair care tips or tricks that have helped you? Know a great natural hair stylist? Share below for the rest of the naturalistas...
Black Friday SalesFrom free toys to cheap electronics, find some of your tops wish list gifts on http://blackfriday.com. Looking for that 60" VIZO television for $688? Walmart's got it! What about 50% off top toy brands and $30 of stocking stuffers for the kids for FREE? Toys R Us has you covered! TIP #1 MAKE A PLAN: Once you identify what you want to buy, which stores have the best sales on Black Friday and what time they open, make a decision about when and where you want to shop first. This year, many stores such as Macy’s & Kohl’s will be opening as early as midnight, but depending on your mall, the next batch of stores may not be open until 4am-6am. Plan accordingly so you’re not waiting in the cold for the next four hours! DEAL FOR A STEAL: Looking for free money to add to your holiday spending? H&M is offering the first 100 customers in line scratch off cards with values of up to $300 for store spending! With sweaters & dresses just starting at $5 each, you can buy gifts for everyone, no matter if they've been naughty or nice this season! Most free-standing H&M stores will open up tonight at midnight, you better get in line early! (Check your local mall for correct Black Friday shopping hours.) TIP #2 DON’T DRESS TO IMPRESS: Loose-fitting or comfy clothing (such as a jogging suit) and sneakers could possibly be the best Black Friday shopping outfit ever. Not only will you be spending a lot of time on your feet, but no one wants to wake up at 4am and get all gussied up. Do yourself a favor by keeping your outfit relaxed and nixing those heels!
SKIP THE LINES: Several stores (including Walmart) will let you put the Black Friday Sale items on Layaway today and get them out for the Black Friday price on Friday! If you want to avoid the lines and still get the deals, drop everything and shop now#TIP #3 THERE’S POWER IN NUMBERS: Go with a team and attack separate stores or sections of the same store. Distributing the list by items (electronics, fashions, etc.) is also a good plan. Designate a meeting place and time to check out so you can find one another amongst all the craziness. The faster you can shop, the sooner you’ll be nursing a hot chocolate back in bed! LESS-QUANTITY ITEMS ARE NOT WORTH YOUR QUALITY TIME: Be wary of Black Friday deals with quantity limits. If a store only has 10 items at that price, go elsewhere. Time is money and you don’t want to miss out on Black Friday sales that are actually worth waiting for! TIP #4 HARNESS THE POWER OF YOUR SMARTPHONE: From following local stores via Twitter, double-checking ad sales via mobile internet or simply dialing a friend to lend a helping hand in carrying five flat-screen TVs home, smartphones are your BFF on Black Friday. Make sure yours is fully charged…and use it wisely! USE TIMING WISELY: By 8am, many of those door-busting earlybirds who have been shopping since 4am have left to go home and crawl back into bed. Meanwhile, the later shoppers are just getting dressed and making waffles, preparing to hit the malls at 10am. If you wait until 8am or so, you can find empty parking lots of stores where there are still plenty of deals to be found, but nearly no lines! TIP #5 BRING A SNACK: Only amateurs stop at the food court on Black Friday. If you think the lines are bad in the stores, you won’t believe the crowds around McDonald’s come noon! Keep granola bars or pre-packaged snacks in your bag to fight off those mid-shopping munchies. You’ll stay satisfied and can eat a healthier meal at home! What do you think of these Tips for Black Friday success? Have you ever gone shopping on Black Friday? Will you be going this year? Where are you off to?
- Map out where you want to go and what route you want to take. Use VZNavigator for turn-by-turn directions, your location, and live traffic conditions to avoid the crowds. Use real-time, turn-by-turn spoken directions with street names and true-to-life images of highway and exit signs, many in 3D. Advanced navigation instructions include landmarks such as traffic lights and number of streets. Discover millions of destinations and businesses that are constantly updated for accuracy, including the nearest ATMs and low gas prices. Search by name or category: restaurants, shopping, airports, museums and more.
- If you’re interested in searching for deals by store, product categories, or most recent offers, download the TGI Black Friday App . This app lets you view Black Friday ads from all major retail stores, create a personal shopping list, and compare prices to make sure you’re getting the best deal. TGI Black Friday is currently the highest rated Black Friday app for the Apple iPhone in 2011. The free app allows you to search thousands of Black Friday deals for every major retail store. You can create a personal shopping list and use your iPhone to shop smarter and faster on Black Friday.
- Worried about your favorite team rather than a shopping deal? Don’t! With the Verizon NFL Mobile you get 24/7 access to everything NFL. Check out scores, latest news, and highlights.
- Ready for Small Business Saturday? Make sure you stay fueled so your shopping experience is a marathon not a sprint. Small Business Saturday, is Saturday, November 24th! Support local business and download the Yelp app so you know where to get the closest cup of joe or sandwich to keep you going. Find and read reviews about great local businesses near you. Looking for a burrito joint open now? An Irish pub nearby? A gas station you can drive to before your tank hits empty? Yelp for Android is here to help. Use us to search for places to eat, shop, drink, relax and play then read reviews from an active community of locals in the know.
- Cyber Monday is important and on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Network you’ll be able to search and shop faster. With the Amazon.com app you can use that power to compare prices, read reviews, and buy all the latest gear and gadgets. Browse, search & buy millions of products right from your Android device. The Amazon Mobile App allows Android users to browse and “Shop by Department”, quickly search, compare prices, read reviews, share products with friends, access Gold Box Deals, and make purchases on Amazon.com.