How To Organize Your Closet Clean Up For 2013 In Three Easy Steps
Is organizing your home space atop of your new year resolutions list? Discover how you can quickly organize your closet for the new year in three easy steps. A new year is upon us and we all know what this time of year brings…. Resolutions, reflections, new goals, etc. but how about giving yourself a new closet for the new year? Yes you heard right, a NEW closet. George Carlin once said… “A house is just a pile of stuff with a cover on it” well of course it is if you don’t have it organized and only use your storage as a place to hide all your “stuff” you don’t ever use. Don’t start the new year with a closet that’s crammed with “out of sight out of mind” items. The new year is the perfect time to go and open that door. You can’t hide from your closets forever, it’s just the two of you, face to face.
Here’s how you can clear the clutter, revive your space and even create some new outfit combinations in the process! Go on.. Open the door!
1. Pour yourself a glass of wine.
2. Go through every single hanger, box, and drawer…
- Take out anything you haven’t worn in a year or more!
- Take out anything that still has a tag! (unless you just purchased it)
- Take out anything that will fit if only you lose 10 more pounds!
- Take out anything damaged or falling apart!
- BONUS: Take out anything that’s currently out of season
What should be left is the mere 20% of items you wear 80% of the time!
Now that there is more out of your closets than in, here’s what to do with it!
- Items you haven’t worn in a year, still have tags, or don’t fit divide them into a donate pile and a consignment pile! If you’re not going to wear it might as well give it or sell it to someone else who will! Bag them up and put them by your front door!
- Items that are worn out beyond recognition, THROW THEM AWAY!
- Items that are damaged, put them in a different bag and take them to you favorite seamstress or tailor for repair.
Try on everything left in your closet! If it doesn’t fit, DO NOT PASS GO! please return to step 3!
3. Now ORGANIZE!
- Sort your clothing by type, dress shirts, pants , skirts and dresses. I’m pretty anal so I even organize by sleeve length and color, and all my hangers MUST face the same way!
Take a break and head to IKEA or The Container Store!
- They have organizational tools or every shape and size, Ikea is more cost friendly, The Container Store is pricier! Pick up:
- clear boxes in various sizes,
- space bags,
- bins, baskets
- under the bed boxes
- Organize your shoes in labeled shoeboxes you picked up stacked or just on the floor if you have a walk in closet.
- Put out of season clothes into containers inside (if you have room) or outside the closet under the bed.
The Fun Part! Let’s Go Shopping! Where are the gaps in your wardrobe? And what do you have too much of? Set a modest budget and fill in your wardrobe with some classic essentials if you don’t have them already. I know for a fact I have way too many open toe shoes, I need a pair of pumps or two ; )
You Did It!!!! Sit back, relax, finish that glass of wine and enjoy all the new outfit combinations you’ll discover now that your closet is all neat and tidy!
What are your closet clean up goals for 2013? Tell us below…