Saturday, December 2nd 2017
Under Armour - Detroit
5. Late-season promotionsIt happens every year. Retailers and holiday shoppers play a game of chicken. What will happen as the last day for gift-buying draws near – will panic buying set in, or will last-minute sales be required to move those Santa snowglobes? Given the mixed news from this year’s shopping numbers, you can bet the bargain bins will be full as Dec. 25 approaches. So don’t blink: hold out for good deals. FYI - Each year, retailers settle on one day that’s comfortably within the margin of error to get gifts by Christmas Day, and call it Free Shipping Day. Free Shipping Day is Friday, December 15th, and it serves as a good reminder to finish your online shopping, or else you end up paying more for express shipping.
4. Creative gift givingIn the age of Pinterest, it’s so much easier to create a spectacular gift that even the pickiest of persons would love. Don’t buy something; make something. Or if you just aren’t crafty, give the gift of a talent you have. Offer up a coupon for a day’s photo session, or house cleaning help, or dog sitting. A free gift like that might be the most valuable present your friend receives all season! PRO-TIP: Homemade gifts for the home are the best! Check out Pinterest's list of 25 best DIY gifts for the holidays and create thoughtful, one-of-a-kind gifts for pennies! Pinterest.com
3. Gift exchangesA gift exchange is a lovely way to let you focus on giving one person one nice thing, rather than dropping hundreds of dollars on obligations to a wide circle of folks. It only takes one family member to make the suggestion. Imagine the amount of money you'll save while still sharing moments of giving and love. (It's a WIN WIN for everyone!) PRO-TIP: Bring a little fun to the holiday gift exchange and host a game of White Elephant, Frosty Flip or December Dice game. Check out more holiday gift exchange games here.
2. Bling at homeHave New Year’s Eve at home instead of going out…Ubers are two times as expensive, drinks are so pricy, parking is jacked up. You can still bling it up with your friends, and the odds your pricey new outfit will end up beer-soaked go down. Stay at home and ring in the new year and save a bunch of money. PRO-TIP: Host a New Year's karaoke party or game night in! You'll enjoy just as much fun for a fraction of your budget!
1. Upcycle and shop consignmentShop consignment instead of new, you can score lots of designer brands at amazingly LOW prices. Upcycle holiday décor, get out the glue gun, glitter and transform your Halloween and Thanksgiving decor into a winter wonderland of greatness. Sell your labor helping others holiday shop or decorate. (Do you know how many people would PAY to have you decorate or put up the Christmas tree?) PRO-TIP: Check out consignment boutiques like A Daily Diva and Alexis Suitcase for amazing deals on designer wares for you and your home. But what about my credit? How is all of this supposed to help my CREDIT?!? Since you're going to be spending money anyways, you might as well gift yourself something special as well. Do what I did and give yourself the gift of improved credit and financial freedom with Self Lender. Self Lender is a venture-backed startup that helps people build credit and savings. As seen in Bloomberg, Newsweek and more, Self Lender can help you establish credit history and save money in a safe, responsible way. You're trying to save money anyways, right? Why not make those savings work for you in a CD account that's FDIC insured? Save as little as $20 a month inside a credit builder account that reports to all three credit bureaus every month. After a year (or two), you can cash out your CD account WITH INTEREST and have positive credit history to boost your overall score. PRO-TIP: Self Lender is a great way to establish a "line of credit" without a damaging credit inquiry (which could lower your current score). If you're shooting for a Happy New Year, a few minor changes and moments of discipline can get you there sooner than later. For more tips and information on improving your credit visit SelfLender.com. via
“I am woman, hear me Roar!”
“Who runs the world? GIRLS!”All the empowerment mantras and songs in the world couldn’t prepare me for my first day at the radio station. I remember walking into the office, a shy college graduate, just hoping that one of the senior female Account Managers would smile, talk to me, or at least show me the ropes of the job. I got nothing. I was a junior account manager, and I wanted was to be mentored by someone who looked like me. To be honest, it’s been well over 10 years and I still sometimes wish that I received their approval and guidance early on in my career. If I did, who knows how much more I could’ve accomplished today. Studies have shown that women report a more difficult time finding mentors than men, which has led to a focused growth of mentoring networks aimed specifically at connecting women with female mentors. In a world where women make less money than men and are still perceived as non-equals, female mentorship and empowerment programs are important more now than ever before.
Mentoring young girls today will make a huge difference for tomorrow...I never want another woman to go through my experience navigating a career path on my own. And I’m not the only one. That’s why throughout my career, I’ve connected with several girlfriends in media, marketing and the blogosphere to create the mentorship opportunities that we didn’t have. Can you imagine, the affect that one woman in the office could have on a company’s future? But we can’t do it alone. We need commitments from schools and corporations to not only encourage but implement mentorship programs could drastically change the landscape of women in the workforce forever. It’s amazing to know that there are great companies and brands that are on our side. Johnson & Johnson has been championing women and providing the tools, resources and opportunities for women to succeed since its founding more than 130 years ago. Not only does Johnson & Johnson talk the talk, but they also walk the walk. At Johnson & Johnson, women hold 43% of manager positions in the company. They’re committed to propelling the best female talent and are truly committed to igniting the power of women to create a healthier tomorrow.
Sound from an untuned system appears jumbled and echoes from everywhere.When they’re done, they move immediately to the testing garage and into a development vehicle. They carefully listen to the same music and proceed to score the vehicle’s audio system according to their listening and testing training. In addition to listening simply to make sure the system reproduces sounds brilliantly, they also listen for any buzzing, vibrations or distortion from the interior components and share that feedback with vehicle engineers.
Sound from an tuned system amplifies in a clear, concise intentional direction.Every time a new software update is released, the system is evaluated and improved until objectives are met – a rich, transformative listening experience for which B&O PLAY is known. Precision speaker placement and calibration also play a role to ensure optimal sound is maintained in the cabin, no matter the driving conditions or seating position. Ford engineers work with B&O PLAY to focus on putting together a high-performance system, including focusing on proprietary sound quality and tuning technologies to deliver a listening experience that is dynamic, engaging and elevates every drive. You can discover your elevated sound experience in the new Ford Expedition and and Ecosport Titanium at Ford dealerships this fall.
Work Life Balance is possibleAs a young diva, I believed that the hustle would dictate your success and ultimate happiness. (Boy was I wrong!) Now that I'm a bit older and wiser, I've learned that you need to take time to enjoy and appreciate life to the fullest (After all, this isn't a dress rehearsal). Now, I still do believe in working hard - but I also believe that making an effort to travel more and engage in amazing framly (friends+family) experiences is what makes life worth living.
Comparison is the thief of joyEveryone isn't blessed with the same strengths (or weaknesses for that matter) and its important for all of us to stop comparing ourselves to others. It's easy to wish you had something someone else has, but you also have to remember that you don't know the trials, tribulations, joys and pains that they had to endure to get what they have today. Don't compare your Chapter 1 to someone's Chapter 12, start living a life of gratitude for what you have today and watch your personal blessings grow by leaps and bounds.
Life Is All About RelationshipsAs a self-proclaimed introvert, it may have taken me a bit longer than others but I've learned that the relationships that you have with others can help you get through ANYTHING. I'm talking relationships with friends, siblings, parents - you name it. Building and maintaining great relationships are investments that anyone can make. It's calling your loved ones regularly, being a listening ear and not being afraid to tell the ones you love - that you love them. Investing in relationships early - they'll be pivotal in the bad times and essential when celebrating the good times!
Forgiveness Keeps You Beautiful (...and stress free!)Now this is one of those lessons that's been around us all along, but we've never taken the time to notice it. One of the most beautiful people I know is my mother. She's 20+ years my senior, but barely looks like my older sister. One of the biggest lessons she's taught me through actions is "forgiveness". She's shown me that not only forgiveness helps others, but it also frees you from angst and unnecessary stress that can cause you to look prematurely old and haggard. (Between practicing forgiveness and good skincare products like Vichy & LaRoche-Posay you should expect my mom and I to look like this well into our 100+ birthdays! LOL) I have to say, this chapter in my life feels good and I'm excited for what the future will bring. (If you forgot my birthday, don't worry, I'm accepting eGifts from Amazon, Panera Bread, Sephora or Starbucks all month long 🙂 Lastly, if I could share one piece of advice to my younger self, it would probably be this. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and take risks early in life, lessons learned from mistakes are the foundation for greatness! Go Big or Go Home! Did I miss any important life lessons on this list? Have you learned important life-altering lessons lately? Share in the comments or tweet me @DivasandDorks!
The Breaks series airs Monday nights on VH1.To enter, head to our Instagram and answer the question "When did you fall in love with Hip Hop?" or "What 80's/90s Hip Hop song describes you?" One (1) lucky winner will be selected at random.
This post is sponsored by VH1 The Breaks. All opinions expressed and shared are my own.
Celebrating a colorful 50 Years of stylish technology in Las Vegas.2017 CES Innovation Awards for breakthrough innovations like the JBL Everest Elite SDK, JBL BassPro Go, JBL Flip 4, and Infinity BassLink DC. The HARMAN brands continue to drive exceptional listening experiences everywhere. Audiophiles want connected and personalized products in the car, at home or in the office. Check out a peek into how HARMAN wants to upgrade your listening experience in your home, car and beyond below!