At SXSW Blacks in Tech Talks Content, Cash And #SCANDAL
March 11th, 2013 by Christen
During a power packed Sunday afternoon of panel discussions, BiT thought leaders shed light on the darker side of SXSW issues affecting minorities in the tech space. Discussions ranging from content creation to the power behind 'Black Twitter' making ABC's Scandal the most tweeted show on TV - Sunday at SXSW had it all.
Naturally Social: Growing Your Hair, Growing Your Audience And Growing Your BrandThis all-star panel examined how the natural hair movement has exploded in recent years, largely in part to the social media savvy of natural hair bloggers and brands. It shed some light on the natural hair "sharing" experience and taught up-in-coming content creators how to incorporate proven social media strategies and avoid missteps to help grow online audiences and brands. Hosted by Patrice Yursik (Afrobella.com), Myliek Teel (curlBOX), Jamala Johns (Le Coil), Kristin Braswell (Carol's Daughter) and moderated by Franchesca Ramsey.
The Takeaway: If you want to grow your audience and brand, you must:
- KNOW your voice! Your audience wants to hear and see you. (Not a carbon copy of another beauty blogger.)
- RECOGNIZE the stylists. Unless you're own a cosmetology license, you're can't claim to be the authority in hair care.
- OPTIMIZE your use of Instagram, Vine, Twitter and Facebook to showcase your unique content in an engaging way.
More Money, More Content: Create Strategic Partnerships That Impact The Bottom LineThis panel asked the question: "You’ve produced great content, built a social media, and created a brand. Now what?" With competition more fierce than ever, you need a well-crafted plan for distributing your content and expanding your influence. This panel challenged bloggers, vloggers and more to explore development of distribution and strategic partnership strategies that can earn significant followings, steady revenue, and new opportunities. Hosted by Wadooah Wali, Franchesca Ramsey, Sian Morson and moderated by Lisa Nicole Bell.
The Takeaway: If you want to make the big bucks by aligning your content with brands or possible acquisition, you must:
- KNOW your numbers! Analytics, Estimated Brand Worth (How much are you willing to sell your brand for?)
- SET realistic collaboration goals! (Know what you can deliver and DO it)
- OPTIMIZE your content platform for web, tablet and mobile. (You don't want people to miss out on your great content.)
#SCANDAL: How Television's Hottest Show Is Fueled By Social MediaThe #1 Show on ABC and one of the hottest shows on television meets the analytical and multi-talented eyes of an academic, a blogger and a social media savant. This explosive panel gripped the attention spans of audience members defining “The Bombastic Brilliance of Black Twitter” and how SCANDAL may have changed the way audiences will watch tv shows for good. Hosted by Luvvie Ajayi (AwsomelyLuvvie.com), Allison Peters (Social media manager for Kerry Washington), Franchesca Ramsey and moderated by Dr. Goddess.
- Kerry Washington urged Shonda Rhimes to mandate the use of Twitter and "Live Tweeting" during the broadcast of each show.
- You can soon shop Olivia Pope's "look for less" closet online, later this year (stay tuned to DivasandDorks.com for info)
- Because of SCANDAL, ABC is implementing the same social media formula in hopes to cash in on social media success for its other shows.